Officer dead in New Zealand shooting


Two people have been arrested after a police officer has was killed in a shooting in New Zealand this morning.

A second officer was also injured in the shooting and a pedestrian was hit by a car escaping the scene, according to a report from the New Zealand Herald.

Armed police in tactical gear descended on a home in West Auckland at about 2.30pm, after hours of searching for the unknown gunman who shot dead a policeman and injured another during a traffic stop about 10.30am local time.

Video captured by reporters on the scene shows officers moving into the home on Rena Place in West Harbour. One man was seen coming out of the house coming outside with his arms raised and a second man followed after. They were then seen talking to police.

The arrests followed about one hour of police stand offs outside the home, with officers heard screaming for the people inside the home to come out.

The gunman had been on the run with parts of Auckland on lockdown, as police search the area for the suspect who shot two officers and hit a pedestrian with their car.

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has addressed the shooting in a statement, calling it "devastating news".

The two police officers in New Zealand were seriously injured in the shooting in broad daylight.

The officers were involved in a traffic stop in Massey, in western Auckland when they were shot on Friday morning, according to reports.

"Two officers have been shot and have been seriously injured," the police tweeted just before midday local time in New Zealand.


Two police officers are seriously hurt after being shot in West Auckland. Photo / Michael Craig
Two police officers are seriously hurt after being shot in West Auckland. Photo / Michael Craig


A member of the public was also hit by a car before the vehicle was seen leaving the scene.

The incident happened about 10.30am this morning. Three people involved were hospitalised following the incident and one of the officers had died.

Another of those involved in the incident had suffered serious injuries and the other person had moderate injuries.

Two ambulances were earlier at the scene while paramedics attended to those injured. Witnesses told reporters an injured police officer could be seen laying in the street.

Before the suspect had been located local businesses and a local high school were shut down as police scoured the area searching for the gunman. New Zealand Police described the incident as "unfolding serious incident" and urged members of the public to avoid the area.


Police officers shot in Auckland. Picture: Michael Craig/NZ Herald
Police officers shot in Auckland. Picture: Michael Craig/NZ Herald



 "We are unaware how long this will last. Please do not try to contact students at school. Everyone is safe in class," Massey High School wrote in an update on its website.

The offender was believed to have fled the scene in their vehicle. Police have retained a large police presence at the scene and continued their searches for the suspect.

The incident is the first time a police officer has been killed in the line of duty in New Zealand in 11 years, according to reports.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the incident "devastating" in a statement issued along with the New Zealand Minister of Police Stuart Nash.

"This is devastating news. Our police officers work hard everyday to keep us and our communities safe," said Ms Ardern.

"To lose a Police officer is to lose someone working for all of us, but also a family member, someone's loved one and friend. My condolences go to them and to their Police whanau."

Mr Nash said: "We are heartbroken for the family and colleagues of the officer who has died today.

"We want all our Police officers to get home safely at the end of every working day. This is a tragic day for our Police family.

"We have another officer injured by gun fire and a member of the public has also been injured by a fleeing offender. Our thoughts are with them."

More to come