UPDATE: Football CQ meeting held to prevent referee walkouts
SOCCER: A meeting was held last night in Rockhampton between Football Central Queensland officials and club presidents to prevent a potential soccer referee walkout from senior and junior games this weekend in Gladstone and Rockhampton.
Football Central Queensland operations manager Kerry Gray offered no further comment yesterday morning.
But another statement from FCQ will be released this morning, which will explain what measures will be taken for unruly behaviour from players and spectators toward referees.
Below is the first statement released by Gray on Tuesday afternoon:
"Our referees have expressed concern over the ongoing unacceptable behaviour of some spectators and club officials at games," the statement said.
"As a result, we have tabled a range of measures for clubs to implement from this weekend onwards.
"These measures were raised and accepted at the club presidents' meeting held in Gladstone on Monday night."
The problems with umpire abuse are not limited to soccer.
Last month an Emu Park rugby league player was banned for life after attacking a referee at an A-grade game in Rockhampton.
The Queensland Rugby League Central Division this year introduced the "Not in my House" campaign, which focuses on the standard of behaviour required by spectators, parents, players and officials.
Last year, the NSW Government cracked down on parents abusing officials and other children at junior rugby league matches.
The rules also told parents to accept officials' decisions as "they're human - they make mistakes" amid concerns over abuse of referees.