A judge says having digital scales and clip seal bags doesn't make you a drug dealer.
A judge says having digital scales and clip seal bags doesn't make you a drug dealer. John Weekes

Stalker's scales no proof of drug dealing

A CONVICTED stalker has avoided jail for the second time in two years, this time after prosecutors could not show his drug stash was proof of dealing.

Jamie De Gier was on parole in November 2016 when cops found him with drugs.

This happened eight months after he pleaded guilty in Ipswich District Court to stalking and weapon charges.

"Things were not looking good for you ... the prosecution alleges that you had possession for a commercial purpose,” Justice Debra Mullins told De Gier on Thursday.

De Gier, in his 30s, was found with several grams of ice and with clip seal bags and a digital scale.

But Brisbane Supreme Court found the digital scales could be for personal use.

And the Crown had no evidence of text messages or tick sheets showing drug dealing.

De Gier said the ice was for personal consumption and he stopped using in early November 2016 for family reasons.

The court heard he supplied drug test results from late 2016 and April 2017 showing he was drug-free.

Justice Mullins said "experience shows that even people who hold drugs for personal use” could have clip seal bags and digital scales.

"You've been getting your life in order ... it seems that you have been responding well to the supervision,” Justice Mullins added.

De Gier earned credit for guilty pleas.

He was given 15 months jail, immediately suspended.

To avoid breaching the suspended sentence he must not commit any imprisonable offences for 18 months.

"I hope I don't see you again,” Justice Mullins said.

In 2016, prosecutors said that after a brief relationship ended, De Gier made threats to ruin a woman's life and shoot her former partner.

He was accused of strapping a phone to the woman's car to track her movements, but denied that.

Ipswich's Judge Sarah Bradley sentenced De Gier to 18 months jail but ordered immediate parole release because he'd served 80 days in pre-sentence custody. -NewsRegional