MAN CHARGED: Police reveal cause of morning van fire
FURTHER UPDATE: Police have revealed what they believe caused the van fire at Avoca this morning.
At 10am a 48-year-old male lit a tissue and tried to use it to light a cigarette, the discarded tissue fell onto the grass and the fire erupted and engulfed the grass and the vehicle.
Police said the fire spread to the local school and grassland.
The man said he thought the wind would blow the lit tissue out.
He tried to put the fire out with a towel and has dropped the towel, which has then caused an additional fire and spread to Avoca State School.
The man has been charged with lighting fire, trespass and committing a public nuisance.
He was camping on private land owned by Santa Lucia corporation.
He is being held in custody and will appear in court tomorrow.
UPDATE: Sergeant Tim Lowth said a man had lost his possessions and his car after it was engulfed by flames.
Sgt Lowth said initial investigations suggested the man may have parked his vehicle in the area last night to camp.
Initially, it was not known how the fire started.
Sgt Lowth said the man was in police custody, while they investigate further.
He said the local Queensland Fire and Emergency Service crews had done a fantastic job to extinguish the fire.
Sgt Lowth said while there was no direct threat to structures or people, with the current dry conditions, a nearby school and residential area, it was lucky the fire break was in place and emergency crews on the scene.
EARLIER: Queensland Fire and Emergency Services crews are responding to a small fire which broke out in Avoca.
A van and surrounding grassland caught fire earlier this morning just before 10am.
Two urban and one rural crews are working to extinguish the fire.
The fire began on the corner of Johnston and Bolewski Streets.
More to come.