Offenders bitten by police dog after break and enters

UPDATE SATURDAY: Three suspects were injured during an early morning police dog chase through dense bush at Seaforth.

The chase came as police were investigating a series of overnight break and enters, which took place at the Northern Suburbs Leagues Club, Slade Point Bowls Club and Seaforth Bowls Club, and a drive-off from a fuel station.

Police were acting on a tip-off from a member of the public at Seaforth.

Mackay police Acting Senior Sergeant Peter Cowan said the search, which involved police dog Tunza, was made around Seaforth Bowls Club about 3.30am.

"The police dog squad was deployed, tracking three persons and apprehending those three at the scene," Acting Snr Sgt Cowan said.

Another two were caught later, he said.

The three injured suspects were taken to Mackay Base Hospital. One person was still undergoing treatment in hospital on Friday.

Acting Snr Sgt Cowan said the petrol drive-off occurred some time between the break-ins.

"Through the night, between the two break-ins, between North Mackay and Seaforth, a petrol drive-off has occurred, involving a vehicle and the alleged offenders," he said.

Only minor amounts of alcohol and cash were taken from premises broken into, Acting Snr Sgt Cowan said, but there had been significant damage to premises.

A woman and four men, aged between 18 and 21, will face Mackay Magistrates Court.

"All five have been charged with break and enter of three premises, along with a petrol drive-off during the night," Acting Snr Sgt Cowan said.

He praised the efforts of the dog squad and the contribution from the public in helping to gain a result in the incident.

FRIDAY: Five people are in custody after a string of break ins at clubs.

A Mackay police spokesman said two of the alleged offenders were at Mackay Base Hospital after being bitten by a police dog.

He said three clubs were broken into including Northern Suburbs Leagues Club, Slade Point Bowls Club and Seaforth Bowls Club.

"An amount of alcohol and cash has been taken," he said.

The break ins happened overnight and lasted into this morning about 4am before they offenders were apprehended.

The police dog squad attended at the Seaforth Bowls Club, the officer said.

The CIB is continuing their investigations.