Aidan Guerra was medicabbed off the ground.
Aidan Guerra was medicabbed off the ground.

Knight suffers horrific injury ‘double-whammy’

The Newcastle Knights have suffered a brutal double blow in a 26-18 loss to the Manly Sea Eagles.

The Sea Eagles flew out of the blocks to take a huge early 18-0 lead and led 18-6 at the break.

The Knights came back but the Sea Eagles claimed the victory with the end of the match finishing in crazy scenes.

Former Queensland Origin forward Aidan Guerra was the unfortunate player to showed the NRL had quickly learned its lesson after the injury debacle in Friday night's game between the Cowboys and Storm.

In shades of Nene Macdonald's horrific leg injury, Knights star Aidan Guerra was left on the ground after his ankle folded under him after slipping.

It is suspected he has broken both his tibia and fibula according to

The forward was stretchered off the field with the referees stopping the game immediately.

"That's terrible," Fox League commentator Danny Buderus said. "He doesn't want to move he's in that much pain Guerra."

"He knows it too," Steve Roach added.

WARNING: Graphic

Aidan Guerra's horrific leg injury
Aidan Guerra's horrific leg injury

Knights coach Nathan Brown said it was likely to be a serious injury.

"That's a bad one, from what we believe, he may have broken his leg," Brown said post-match of Guerra. "It's a double whammy isn't it, a really poor performance and a serious injury to one of your players."

The NRL will investigate their referees after North Queensland coach Paul Green described as a "disgrace" their failure to stop play while Nene Macdonald was down with a potentially season-ending leg injury after having surgery on his ankle today.

Referees Grant Atkins and his assistant Gavin Badger are under fire after they allowed play to continue despite Cowboys players Macdonald and John Asiata being down in back play.

Macdonald is expected to miss four to six months, possibly ruling him out for the rest of the season and Cowboys coach Paul Green unloaded on the referees.

It was another sickening injury but the referees clearly learned their lesson.

It was an exciting finish to the game as the Knights came back in the second half.

Controversy also reigned as Addin Fonua-Blake was sin binned in the 67th minute following a high hit on a slipping Mitchell Pearce.

Pearce left the field for a HIA, which he failed, as Fonua-Blake was sent from the field.

Fans were less happy with the call, especially after Curtis Sironen was off for something similar in the first half.

Fonua-Blake received an icy reception from fans and David Klemmer.

David Klemmer gives Fonua-Blake a send off.
David Klemmer gives Fonua-Blake a send off.

In the first half, the Sea Eagles hurt the Knights where it really matters early.

Jorge Taufua scored the easiest of tries to kick off the match down his wing.

Then Sea Eagles hooker Apisai Koroisau took a scoot from dummy half, making the Knights defenders look ordinary as he cut through the middle before linking with Jorge Taufua, who found Reuben Garrick for a long distance try and 12 points in less than 11 minutes.

The win condemned Newcastle to their fourth-consecutive NRL loss.

After beating Cronulla in the opening round, the Knights have lost to Penrith, Canberra, St George Illawarra and the Sea Eagles.

Daly Cherry-Evans was also strong as he celebrated his 200th NRL game, running 143 metres, kicking a 40-20 and busting through three tackles.

- with AAP


The 2019 NRL season will be live and on demand on Kayo Sports for just $25 per month for two devices at once on Apple, Android and Telstra TV, for Apple and Google Android smartphones, on web browsers and via Google Chromecast Ultra devices. Click here for your free trial.