FLOOD affected residents in Bundaberg in need of housing assistance have been urged to register with the Recovery Centre.

Those unable to reach the Recovery Centre should register by contacting the Housing Department on a special hotline: 1800 004 495.

Minister for Housing and Public Works Tim Mander said it was possible that more than 1000 households would need some form of housing assistance.  

"We've got people working with local real estate agents to identify vacant rental properties in the region, and will begin matching people with properties as soon as possible," Mr Mander said. 

"We will also have teams of people conducting outreach services in impacted areas to make sure those without power or access to phones or internet are aware of the assistance on offer." 

Mr Mander said short term emergency accommodation was on its way, to house those who have been left homeless, with longer term housing likely to be arriving in the coming weeks. 

"Right now we've got enough temporary camp buildings on their way to provide beds for up to 340 people and cooking facilities for roughly 650," he said.

"Those buildings will start to arrive in Bundaberg over the weekend. 

"In the coming weeks we will be delivering modular housing to give people a proper home until they're back on their feet. 

"I would also call on locals with access to spare bedrooms to put up their hands to help where they can. 

"If you have a granny flat or a holiday house or a caravan and you're willing to rent it out, please get in touch and let us know.

"Finally, my message to those in the grip of this disaster is that you are not alone. You will be supported today, tomorrow and in the weeks and months to come."

Residents wishing to register for housing assistance should visit the Recovery Centre at Bundaberg TAFE on Walker Street or contact the department on 1800 004 495 

People with offers of vacant accommodation are encouraged to call 1800 004 495.