Fenech labels Mundine-Parr bout 'embarrassing' for the sport
AUSSIE boxing great Jeff Fenech has slammed Anthony Mundine's fight this weekend against John Wayne Parr as a bout between "two old guys" that is "embarrassing" for the sport.
Mundine will fight renowned kickboxer Parr at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Saturday in his first bout since since being KOed in the first round by Jeff Horn last year.
However, Parr is more renowned as a kickboxer, a 10-time former world champion, but who is coming off back-to-back losses.
The 43-year-old Parr has a 10-3 boxing record, but hasn't fought since a 2003 loss to Sakio Bika - and Fenech is adamant that the fight on Saturday will damage Australian boxing.
"It's two old guys," Fenech told Sporting News.
"John Wayne Parr's been beaten by Nader (Hamdan), Ian McLeod beat him with one hand - he had a broken hand - Sakio Bika beat him.
"He's great at what he does. He's an amazing fighter and a top guy.
"No disrespect to either of them. I'm not sure how John Wayne Parr's going to go in the fight but if he has a go and lands a punch on Anthony, the fight's over.
"Anthony's days are well and truly behind him, and to be honest, I think it's embarrassing to the sport of boxing.
"I think it's embarrassing."
Fenech paid tribute what Mundine had done for Aussie boxing but said the veteran's time was over.
"Anthony's a great entertainer and he's been great - what he's done is amazing - but there comes a time when someone has to say stop," Fenech said.
"Someone, either the authority or someone who loves him, has to say 'let's stop this.'
"Anthony's his own boss, but if I trained him I wouldn't be in his corner. I wouldn't take the risk.
"He doesn't need to fight, he's got money, he's made a great name for himself.
"What's he going to get out of beating a kickboxer?"