Eating disorder support welcomed on the Coast
MARK and Gayle Forbes' battle against eating disorders has been buoyed by separate acts of national and local support within a week.
The couple run charity EndED and are in the process of building Australia's first residential treatment facility for eating disorders at a Mooloolah Valley property.
A $110 million Federal Government investment in making a comprehensive treatment plan available through Medicare came as a welcome surprise when it was announced on Sunday.
"Prior to this announcement parents and carers and sufferers have only got limited opportunities... to access support," Mr Forbes said.
The changes mean sufferers, depending on the severity of their disorders, can access up to 40 psychological and 20 dietetic services a year.
Previously, they could access 10 psychological and five dietetic services a year.
"That's a huge jump," Mr Forbes said.
Do we need more support for eating disorder recovery services?
This poll ended on 11 January 2019.
Definitely! They're vital services.
They're already supported enough.
I'm not sure.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
He said the changes, to be implemented in November next year, would make care more affordable.
"A lot of the families we deal with have mortgaged their homes to get help for their kids," Mr Forbes said.
He said a recent letter from the Opposition Leader to Prime Minister Scott Morrison asking for cooperation on the national crisis was also encouraging.
"To have bi-partisan support is fantastic."
Meanwhile, he picked up a new 12-seater Renault bus on Friday that was funded by Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson and Cr Jason O'Pray.
It got its first use on the weekend, bringing a group of sufferers to the Mooloolah Valley property to look around, meet some animals and pick some fruit.
"This bus has already allowed therapy to begin," Mr Forbes said.