Regional councils want slice of $130 million in funding
REGIONAL councils have the chance to cut themselves a slice of $130 million as the Queensland Government launches its latest round of Royalties for the Regions today.
Since its launch, the plan to return some of the cash generated from Queensland's mining and gas sectors has supplied $153 million, which 28 councils have spent on 64 projects.
It is open to any local government outside of south-east Queensland.
This third round is better timed to fit in with council budgets and will be open for expressions of interest until February 7 next year.
Queensland's Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney said the previous round of funding had helped pay for a wide range of upgrades and infrastructure.
"The last round of funding supported road upgrades from the far south-west to the tip of Cape York, the building and upgrading of water supply and treatment facilities in eight communities and the provision of childcare centres in Barcaldine and Blackhall," he said.
In addition, Mr Seeney said 32 short-listed projects from round two of the Royalties for Regions funding had now submitted their business cases and funding for these would be confirmed before the end of the year.
Mackay Regional Council's Marian water treatment plant and raw water intake system is among the short-listed round two projects under consideration.
The council received almost $350,000 in Royalties for Regions funding earlier this year towards a $700,000 upgrade of the North Mackay levee. The project was part of a State Government plan for flood-proofing projects across Queensland.
Mr Seeney said it would also be a chance for the now-independent councils of Mareeba, Livingstone and Douglas to apply.