Blast-off: Judge says Bruce Hwy batching plant is needed
QUARRY opponents have had a court setback but say the battle over a Traveston development is not over.
Corbet Quarries wanted to add a hard rock quarry and concrete batching plant to its operations near the Bruce Highway.
And on Friday, Judge Richard Jones said the proposed concrete batching plant was needed.
He said it was very unlikely the plant would greatly "offend reasonable public expectations”.
Corbet's plans sparked opposition from Mary Valley Community Group and from Peak Events, which owns the nearby Garapine centre.
They appealed after Gympie Regional Council gave Corbet the go-ahead.
The case involved arguments over issues including visual amenity, water quality, noise and air quality.
On Friday, the relief Peak Events and the community group wanted was refused and the appeal dismissed.
But the matter was otherwise adjourned for conditions - potentially including blasting - to be decided in more detail.
Reg Lawler from the community group told Judge Jones the group wanted conditions for blasting.
Judge Jones understood some recommendations for blasting were under way but added: "It's not for me to draft conditions.”
Outside the Planning and Environment Court, Mr Lawler told NewsRegional it was a "David and Goliath” battle.
He said the group comprised maybe 16 or so local residents.
Mr Lawler was concerned about possible impacts on the Garapine outdoor education centre.
"We're disappointed because we thought having a quarry 10m away from an educational establishment was not a proper thing in town planning.”
"However, the judge has made his decision and when we see the reasons for the decision, we'll consider what we do...”
He said the group would ask Judge Jones to put blasting far enough away so flyrock didn't go "where kids are learning”.
Mr Lawler said conditions on air quality and noise were also pivotal but undecided.
Representatives for Corbet weren't immediately commenting outside court as they were still reading the 52-page judgment.
Businessman Andrew Corbet previously told a public meeting his company had been trying for 15 years to find an appropriate site.