Liam and his dad Angry Anderson.
Liam and his dad Angry Anderson.

Angry: ‘They weren’t best friends’

LESS than a week after hearing his 26-year-old son Liam Anderson was allegedly beaten to death by one of his friends, Matthew Flame, rock star Angry Anderson has spoken for the first time about the relationship between the two.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Anderson said reports the two were "best friends" was wrong.

"They were not best friends," Anderson told the publication through tears.

"He wasn't even in Liam's main group of friends."



Angry Anderson has said his son Liam and accused killer Matthew Flame weren’t best friends.
Angry Anderson has said his son Liam and accused killer Matthew Flame weren’t best friends.

Court documents from Mr Flame's first appearance allege Mr Anderson told partygoers he "would never leave my best friend" before following the 20-year-old early Sunday morning.

Police allege Mr Flame, 20, was partying in Sydney on Saturday night with Mr Anderson when things took a turn.

Just after 6am on Sunday morning Mr Flame, under the influence of MDMA, marijuana and alcohol, allegedly punched and stomped Mr Anderson to death.

Earlier that night, court documents state the pair met up the previous evening with a group of friends at the Brookvale Hotel for drinks before attending an Awful Things hip hop concert at Surry Hills.

Mr Flame and Mr Anderson, an aspiring rapper, allegedly took MDMA and kept drinking until the early hours of Sunday.

At about 3am, the group travelled back to the northern beaches, where Mr Flame allegedly took more MDMA and smoked marijuana, the papers state, but the final dose of the party drug gave him heart palpitations.

Court documents allege Mr Flame started panicking and left the house just before 6am, with Mr Anderson immediately following his friend, reportedly telling partygoers: "He's my best friend. I would never leave my best friend."

Liam Anderson and Matthew Flame before the incident.
Liam Anderson and Matthew Flame before the incident.

At the intersection of Pavilion St and Bridge Rd in Queenscliff, a fight broke out between the long-time mates, where Mr Flame allegedly struck Mr Anderson in the body and head multiple times with his fists and bare feet.

Mr Flame was arrested and handcuffed as police arrived on the scene, and later pepper sprayed when he stood up to watch officers attempt to save the life of his best friend who died at the scene.

Mr Flame has been in jail since Monday when his bail was formally refused in Manly Local Court.

Police say Mr Flame made full admissions to the attack and participated in forensic procedures.

The court has ordered a mental health assessment on Mr Flame before his next appearance in the same court on January 29.

Yesterday, Mr Flame's barrister Charles Waterstreet said his client would be pleading not guilty by way of mental health.

In September, Mr Anderson posted several pictures and videos with Mr Flame at Sydney's Defqon.1 Festival.

"Defqon was lit, shout to the homie (Mr Flame) for being a real one," he wrote alongside a video taken at the electronic dance music event. "Love ya mate x."

One of their mates responded, writing: "You guys are obsessed (with) each other."

"Yeah pretty much," Mr Anderson responded.

Mr Flame then joked the commenter was just "jealous" of their friendship.

Mr Anderson's final Instagram post shows the pair posing with three other friends at Defqon.1.


Matthew Flame and Liam Anderson at Defqon.1.
Matthew Flame and Liam Anderson at Defqon.1.