CMC update to parliament shows $4.87m in forfeitures
THE head of the Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission has provided an update to a parliamentary committee about the organisation's effectiveness in tacking crime across the state.
Acting chairman Ken Levy told the Parliamentary Crime and Misconduct Committee on Monday the organisation had made $4.87 million in forfeiture orders as a result of investigations including the largest single seizure in its history.
He said the latest update was correct as of march this year.
"Fourteen people were called to criminal motorcycle gang related hearings in March," he said.
"The CMC proceeds of crime team continue to produce outstanding results on behalf of the State of Queensland.
"The CMC obtained 10 restraining orders over property which was valued at more than $3 million.
"The state was the recipient of more than $4.87 million from forfeiture orders secured by the CMC.
"This included the largest ever single cash forfeiture of $4.3 million."
Dr Levy said one of the areas of vast improvement for the commission was the time it took to investigate matters which fell under the misconduct banner.
"In July, 2013, we reported to this committee that we have implemented a number of initiatives to reduce the number of matters that were under investigation for longer than 12 months," he said.
"At the end of this reporting period the CMC had only five investigations which exceeded 12 months.
"This is a considerable improvement compared to same time last year where we had 15 investigations exceeding 12 months."
Dr Levy said the CMC finalised 11 misconduct investigations in March which led to the referral of 13 criminal charges to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for their consideration mainly to do with fraud.
He said the CMC was currently investigating 32 serious misconduct matters and commenced a further four new investigations in March.